Saturday, April 21, 2007

Slipping Dominance

Quick recap of the 24 hour period from 10 pm Thursday to 10 pm Friday :)

At poker, I broke my 3-week "1st out" losing streak and went out 3rd. I'm not beating myself up too much though because I lost the majority of my money on Pocket Ks vs Pocket As. Basically, I raised pre-flop, Sergei went all in, two people besides me called. The flop came out with an A, but the A matched the suit of one of my K and there was a decent flush draw. Someone else bet 10, and I knew they had an A, but I had a good draw and a lot of money already in the pot, so I called knowing I was beat. The turn wasn't a K or my suit, and the guy with an A bet again - I folded. It was a good fold and everyone was impressed (he actually had 3 A so it was a good thing the turn wasn't a K!). I still had a little money left after that, and lost it to Dave when he actually managed to pull out a flush (I thought he was bluffing and that my 2-pair was good). So I felt better than I have after the last couple of games. Nick ended up taking 2nd place. I also took 2nd place in the second game, but it was winner-take-all so I didn't get any money back.

Friday after work, we went to a matinee showing of Hot Fuzz, from the makers of Shaun of the Dead. Some of you may recall that I didn't really like Shaun of the Dead that much, and in fact, spent an entire evening ridiculing it the night we watched it, and are wondering: why now, why this movie? Especially when you rarely go to first-run movies? The answer, of course, is peer pressure. We went with a whole group of people. And, I have to admit, I had a good time. And one point in the movie, to my horror, I actually clapped! Yes, my favorite scene was that good. So I am somewhat converted, and it was a fun movie.

After the movie, Nick and I returned home and played a set of tennis outdoors. It was a perfect temperature (50s), light out with no sun in our eyes, and both courts were open. It was a little windy, but overall, great weather for playing. Nick ended up beating me 6-2, but I was happy just to win a few games. To finish off our evening, we played two games of Trains and ate supper. I'm happy to report that Nick didn't manage to beat me, but he did give me a scare in the final game:


A Tie!! But I'm still undefeated - I think my Karin vs Nick record is now about 50-0-1.

No comments: