Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Visiting Frank In Georgia

This is the "long version" of the trip that Nick and I took recently to Georgia. We were visiting his little sister who had been after us for about 9 months to come and visit. The trip started off in a very Erin-like fashion: due to traffic, it took over an hour and a half to get to the airport instead of the normal 30 minutes or so. Then we got the "trainee driver" on the airport shuttle. He had no clue where we were going - luckily there was a trainer on the bus so we did arrive safely! There was no drama in the airport or on the plane - security was deserted, we took off on time, and landed ten minutes early. It was actually a fun ride because our plane was equipped with free XM Radio and Nick and I listened to the Twins game for the entire flight! Once in Georgia, the craziness was back when Nick and I got separated in the Atlanta airport. As we came down an escalator, I said "Oh, we need to get on that tram!". Nick hopped on and the doors closed before I had a chance to move. Oops. Luckily he knew where we were going, so I caught the next tram and he was waiting for me at the end of the line.

Friday morning we got off to an early start - Erin had to go to work so Nick and I got up to drive her there so we'd have a car for the day. We ended up taking our new disc golf frisbees to the local course and playing it through twice. It was quite an adventure, as the holes weren't that clearly marked and I had never played before. We couldn't even find the correct starting place for two of them, and just had to guess at a spot that seemed an appropriate distance away. Erin unexpectedly got the afternoon off, so after picking her up we went out to lunch at one of my favorite Southern restaurants: Chic-fil-a. Yum Yum. Nick and Erin liked it too. After lunch we decided to beat the crowds and go to a matinee showing of Spider-Man 3. I thought that it lived up to the hype - it was a fun movie. We were feeling lazy after that and just went back to Erin's to watch another movie, Little Miss Sunshine. I thought that that movie was excellent too. Much funnier than I expected it to be. Nick and I even renamed Erin after one of the characters in the movie, Frank. (Karin and Erin is just too confusing.)

After the movie we perked up a little bit and had a 3-way birthday celebration since all of us were born within six weeks of each other. We had a cute little 8-inch cake that said "H.B. Nick, Karin and Erin" and made ourselves a spaghetti dinner. After dinner, we opened presents and played the weirdest game of memory ever. We used the "Easter Egg" deck that Steph got Erin for Easter - the backs were all different colors which made it slightly easier to remember which card was which.

Saturday morning we got out the frisbee discs again and headed back to the golf course. Erin had walked the course before we arrived, and had found one of the starting points that we missed - you had to go over a creek that we thought was the boundary to the course and behind a tree and there you were! As we were playing, some other golfers were kind enough to point out the other one we had missed - up an embankment in the middle of the golf cart path. Crazy! I think I was getting progressively worse the longer we played. The fourth time I threw my disc into the boundary creek TWICE! Both times Nick had to wade in and fish it out for me. The second time was worse because there was a 6-foot vertical drop with no hand holds to the creek bank below. He got down ok, but it was trickier getting up. Nick, on the other hand, was a rock star, and was able to make par by the last time we played.

Sunday, our last full day, we got up early and dressed up to go to the Renaissance Fair. Nick and I wore the same costumes we wore for Halloween (mine was originally a Renaissance Fair dress) and Erin wore one that we got for her on eBay. We had a great time walking around and watching all the shows. The performers were very funny and up-to-date: we heard jokes about Paris Hilton going to jail and the jazz scene of Spider-Man 3. The craziest stunt we saw was by a guy name Dextre. He duct-taped about 100 firecrackers to himself, then climbed one of those stunt ladders (the kind that you just climb up with no support but the ground). Once he was up there he lit the fire crackers and had the crowd throw about 300 water balloons at him. Who comes up with this stuff? It was like an outtake of the Nic and Nick Go Fishing show :)

If you got this far, wow! I bet you feel like you came to Georgia with us. Hope you enjoyed the trip! Check back later to see pictures!

4 comments:

steph said...

The memory game is for people with a handicap I guess, I didn't realize they had different colored backs. I'd also really like to see any photos of this fair you went to, preferably of you all in your costumes. I'm glad you enjoyed GA, someday you'll have to come a little more northeast to see me too!

Erin said...

Well that all seems like lots of fun. Maybe I should have been coherent for more of that. But I did enjoy the look on Nick's face as he hugged this tiny tree trying not to fall flat into the crick will retrieving one of many disc that Karin discarded. See how she treats her gifts? I wonder if her bike is still in one piece.

Krista said...

I'm glad your dress is still getting some use. I think we might visit the Faire here later this month.

I think you guys should move down here where it's warm so the guys can revive the Nic & Nick Go Fishing show. :-)

Unknown said...

I'd like to see some of those pics, too. Glad you had a good time.